Veteran Preference Information Page
Effective September 1, 2015 the Military Veterans’ Full Employment Act, SB 805 (Link) was amended. A veteran qualifies for a veteran’s employment preference if the veteran:
- Served in the a) army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States or the United States Public Health Service under of b) the Texas Military Forces, Texas National Guard, Texas State Guard, and any other military force organized under state law); or c) an auxiliary service of one of those branches of the armed forces; and
- Honorably discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served.
- Additionally, a veteran’s surviving spouse who has not remarried or an orphan of a veteran qualifies for a veteran’s employment preference.
How does veteran’s preference correlate with the Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi recruitment process?
- If six or fewer applicants are chosen for an interview, a qualified veteran’s preference applicant from the pool must be interviewed.
- If more than six are interviewed, 20% of the number interviewed that are qualified veteran’s preference applicants must be interviewed.
- If there are no veteran’s preference applicants in the qualified applicant pool, this guideline does not apply.
- If the pool does not have any applicants who self-identify as eligible for veteran’s preference, this interview requirement does not apply to the hiring process for that vacancy.
What does veteran’s preference mean to the Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi hiring process?
- Veteran’s preference means if two applicants are finalists for a position, and equal in all respects, the veteran would be offered the job.
- If the veteran’s preference is granted, the veteran or surviving unmarried spouse/orphan would be required to produce DD Form 214 or similar documentation at the point of hire to verify eligibility.
- Equal Opportunity for VEVRAA Protected Veterans - 41 CFR Part §60-300.5 (Link)
- Jobs for Veterans Act (VEVRAA) – 38 U.S.C. §4212 (Link)
- Veteran; Disabled Veteran; Preference Eligible - 5 U.S.C. §2108 (Link)
Veterans & Hiring Managers Resources: (Links)
- VA Guide to Hiring Veterans
- Women Veterans Fact Sheet, 2015
- Texas Veterans Commission (TVC) Hiring Managers Guide
- TVC Directory
- Department of Defense (DOD) 2013 Demographic Report
- DOD Dictionary of Terms
TAMUCC Campus Resources for Veterans: